Created on 2019-02-28 at 09:00 AM by Christian Nyari
FC Bayern have announced that the club will be the official sports ally for the Year of German-American Friendship. Starting in October 2018 and going through to November 2019, Germany is celebrating its close friendship with the U.S. under the motto Wunderbar Together. The year-long initiative is highlighting the strong relationship between the two countries, which have deep historical ties and shared culture.
The club will support targeted aspects of the campaign such as the WanderbUS Tour, which kicks off in March. The promotional vehicle will travel to over 50 cities where a team of educational professionals will awaken the curiosity and interest of youngsters in schools and colleges. FC Bayern’s young American starlet, Chris Richards, will feature in an onboard video highlighting his experiences in Germany so far. The bus will also carry a first-team signed jersey that will be raffled off at the end of the bus tour.
“Sport plays a huge part in German culture, and success is not just measured in trophies but also through values such as team work, fair play and inclusivity; all of which help make a positive impact in society,” said Rudolf Vidal, FC Bayern’s President of the Americas. “We are excited to be part of this campaign, taking our country’s culture to cities and towns across America to showcase the passion and excitement around soccer” he added.
The German powerhouse will also join forces with Siemens AG, both a partner of the club as well as the “Wunderbar Together” (translates to wonderful together) campaign, to create a unique experience at the PopUp Tour in Daley Plaza, Chicago from April 26 to May 5.
"For years FC Bayern has been an important messenger for our country," commented German Ambassador Emily Haber. "FC Bayern embodies the combination of Germany's cultural cosmopolitanism with its regional roots - something that makes soccer so popular, too. Soccer is local and global. And so is the German-American friendship," she added.
Wunderbar Together is a comprehensive and collaborative campaign funded by the Federal Foreign Office of Germany, implemented by the Goethe-Institute and supported by the Federation of German Industries (BDI).
Visit wunderbartogether.org for more info.
About Wunderbar Together
- Wunderbar Together leverages a vast network of more than 250 partners to hold events in all 50 states between now and late 2019.
- In total, Wunderbar Together will host more than 1,000 events. These will highlight all aspects of society: business, politics, education, culture, science, civil society, and sports.
- Opening events took place in October 2018 in six locations: Washington D.C., Boston, Atlanta, Indianapolis, Los Angeles, and Monument Valley.
- The first Deutschlandjahr was held in 2005, and there have been more than 40 similar initiatives – ranging from a full year to several weeks – in countries such as Japan, China, India, Brazil and Mexico.
About the U.S.-German Relationship
- Roughly 50 million Americans claim German heritage, making it the largest ancestry group in the U.S
- 5,300 German-owned affiliates have created 692,000 American jobs. Germany is the fourth-largest foreign employer in the U.S.
- The countries generated $171.6 billion in shared commerce in 2017.
- This year marks the 70th anniversary of the Berlin Air Lift, when American “candy bombers” helped the people of Berlin survive the end of World War II.
- The U.S. is the most popular overseas tourist destination for more than 2 million German travelers each year, and Americans are the most frequent overseas visitors to Germany.