Created on 22-11-2010 at 00:00 AM
When the Bayern party took off from Munich on Monday for their Champions League meeting with AS Roma, Germany international Bastian Schweinsteiger was not on the plane. The 26-year-old is suspended for Tuesday’s match after collecting three bookings in the competition so far.
Prior to the squad’s departure for the Eternal City, FCB chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge repeated the club’s hopes of the player signing a long-term extension to his current contract well in advance of its expiry date in June 2012. Germany’s most successful club has already sealed lengthy agreements with Franck Ribéry, Thomas Müller (both through to 2015), Holger Badstuber (2014) and most recently with Philipp Lahm (2016).
No release until 2012 at the earliest
Bavarian native Schweinsteiger has himself repeatedly said that Bayern would be his “first port of call” in negotiations over a new deal, adding that the decisive factor would be the club’s prospects of sporting success in the years to come. The midfielder, currently the longest-serving player at Bayern, has also stated his intention of opening talks with the board in spring 2011, ensuring his focus and priority until that point is the field of play.
“Schweinsteiger is one of our most important players, if not the most important,” declared Rummenigge. In the event of the club and the player failing to agree on an extension, Schweinsteiger would “definitely” fulfil his contract in Munich, the chairman declared, categorically ruling out selling the player before that date. “He won’t go before 2012,” Rummenigge said.
Schweinsteiger has been linked in the media with a host of major European clubs, including Real Madrid, Manchester United, and Champions League holders Inter Milan.