Created on 08-03-2014 at 18:20 PM
The 6-1 win at VfL Wolfsburg marks another chapter in FC Bayern’s record-breaking campaign. Pep Guardiola’s team has already established several records. fcbayern.de provides a summary to date:
- Wins record: That was the 16th successive Bundesliga win for Bayern. The reigning Club World Champions have improved on their own previous best from the league campaign in 2005 (15 straight wins).
- Points record: 68 points from 24 games. FCB have overtaken their own previous Bundesliga best from last season by five points.
- Goalscoring record: 72 goals from the first 24 Bundesliga games is a first! Werder Bremen set the previous best with 70 goals in 1985/86.
- Start record: 22 wins, 2 draws - Bayern are still unbeaten in the league after 24 games. The victory over Wolfsburg sees FCB draw level with Bayer Leverkusen’s league record from 2009/10. Bayern can make this record their own next weekend when Leverkusen visit the Allianz Arena.
- Serial goals record: Bayern have scored at least one goal in all of their last 60 games, extending their own record in the league. The last Bayern game without a goal was a 0-0 draw with Mainz in April 2012. In the top five European leagues only Barcelona have succeeded in achieving a longer goalscoring run (64 in 2012/13).
- Undefeated streak record: Bayern have now gone 49 Bundesliga matches without defeat (43 wins, 6 draws) and further extended their league record. In the top five European leagues only AC Milan have been on a longer run (58 games from 1991 to 1993).
Mario Mandzukic had a number of reasons to be cheerful on his return to his old stamping ground. The 6-1 win for Bayern at VfL Wolfsburg included goals number 50 and 51 for the Croat who made his Bundesliga debut for the Wolves in 2010. He scored his first on the same ground nearly three years ago to the day (12 March 2011). Mandzukic has found the back of the net 22 times in competitive matches this season, which equals his total for the whole of last season. And his 16 league goals this term beats his personal best of 15 set last season. Last but not least, he is also the top goalscorer in the Bundesliga at the moment.