presented by
DFB Cup victory

Reds progress to last sixteen

FC Bayern advanced to the DFB Cup last sixteen after beating FC Augsburg 3-1 in Wednesday's all-Bavaria derby. Philipp Lahm crowned the cup holders' first attack 100 seconds into the contest with the crucial opener and Julian Green doubled the lead before half-time, heading in a Thomas Müller cross. Dong-Won Ji pulled one back after the hour mark before David Alaba closed out the meeting in the dying stages of a match which saw both sides miss a penalty.

Carlo Ancelotti comprehensively shuffled his deck with eight changes to the team that saw off Mönchengladbach on Saturday. The survivors from the clash were keeper Manuel Neuer, Mats Hummels and Thiago. Lahm, back after a breather on Saturday, Jérôme Boateng, Juan Bernat, Joshua Kimmich and Renato Sanches joined them, with Müller, Kingsley Coman and Green featuring in the attacking unit. Holger Badstuber was greeted by warm applause as he replaced Hummels with ten minutes to go, making his yearned-for comeback after a long spell on the sidelines. Arturo Vidal and David Alaba took over from Sanches and Green in the closing stages.

Barely two minutes had been played when the 75,000 capacity crowd at the Allianz Arena rose to hail Philipp Lahm's opener. Kimmich won possession in midfield, and the FCB skipper and Thomas Müller sliced through the visitors' lines with astonishing ease, Lahm crowning the attack with a sumptuous low drive from a narrow angle.

The first half was one-way traffic after that. Augsburg parked the bus, wary of conceding on the break. Bayern laid siege to Ausgburg's goal, repeatedly trying to double the lead with long-range efforts before Green connected with a Müller cross to head the ball past visiting netminder Marvin Hitz shortly before the interval. Mats Hummels almost made it three following a mix-up in the hosts' box, but Hitz performed miracles to deny the centre-back.

Alaba seals the derby victory

After the break the Reds picked up where they left off, but it was the visitors who were awarded a doubtful penalty two minutes into the second half. Justice was done when Neuer saved Koo's spot-kick, the rebound skidding wide. Ten minutes later Bayern were awarded a penalty for handball, but Müller fired the ball into the Munich night sky.

FCA pulled one back when Ji crashed the ball past Neuer on the break midway through the second half. The game picked up pace now, the Reds intent on closing out the tie, their opponents more courageous in looking for the equaliser, but both sides failed to create any gilt-edged opportunities. Shortly before the final whistle Carlo Ancelotti was vindicated in terms of his substitutions as Vidal set up Alaba to put the game beyond Augsburg's reach: both FCB men had just come on.

The German record champions have now gone unbeaten in 25 DFB Cup matches after 90 and 120 minutes, extending their record with their last defeat dating back to 2012. The two sides meet again on Saturday, when Augsburg entertain Bayern in the Bundesliga.

Live match report for by Gregor Salmen

FC Bayern - FC Augsburg 3-1 (H-T: 2-0)

FC Bayern

Neuer - Lahm, Boateng, Hummels (Badstuber 81), Bernat - Kimmich, Thiago, Sanches (Vidal 84) - Müller, Green (Alaba 89), Coman

Subs Ulreich - Alonso, Robben, Lewandowski
FC Augsburg

Hitz - Teigl (Schmid 61), Janker, Kacar, Hinteregger, Stafylidis - Koo (Altintop 78), Kohr (Günther-Schmidt 86), Baier, Max - Ji


Gelios - Verhaegh, Feulner, Moravek

Referee Sascha Stegemann (Niederkassel)
Attendance 75,000 (capacity)
Goals 1-0 Lahm (2), 2-0 Green (41), 2-1 Ji (69), 3-1 Alaba (90+3)
Yellow cards

Coman (83) / Baier (27), Kohr (52)