presented by
Search Fill-1
Match Report

FCB women draw with Twente, bow out of UWCL

Increase font size Text size

After a 2-2 (1-1) draw against FC Twente in the second leg of the Round of 32, the FC Bayern women were eliminated from the UEFA Women’s Champions League. The Dutch side progressed to the next round on away goals after the 1-1 draw in Enschede and 2 away goals yesterday.

A crowd of 1,072 at the Grünwalder Stadion witnessed the thriller in which Twente went up twice thanks to Jill Roord (13’) and Maud Roetgering (56’, PK). The FC Bayern women continued pressing and equalized with an own goal from Twente’s Kristina Erman (29’) and later a converted penalty kick from captain Melanie Behringer (78’).

Successful first shot

Bayern coach Thomas Wörle received good news before kickoff as captain Melanie Behringer was cleared for the game. Caroline Abbé, who also was questionable prior to the match, was forced to sit out. In her place, Carina Wenninger started in the back three. One more change came as Kristie Mewis started on the left offensive wing in place of Sara Däbritz. Twente made no changes except to their formations, using a 3-4-3 instead of 5-3-2.

Much like in the first leg, the Bayern women went to work right away, with Miedema creating the first chances early on, though also like in the first leg, Twente made use of their first shot on goal off a counter attack as Roord netted one in from 17 yards out to give the visitors the lead.

After taking the lead, Twente continued to press, and combined with a tight-knit defense did not allow the Bavarian women any chances. Roetgering came close to scoring Twente’s second goal in the 27th minute before Bayern goalkeeper Tinja-Riikka Korpela made a top save to preserve the one-goal difference, and was there again shortly afterwards to save a header from Shanice van de Sanden (29’).

Behringer’s shot in the 15th was Bayern’s only one until the 29th minute, when a combination from Vivianne Miedema and Lisa Evans right in front of goal gave Bayern the equalizer, though Miedema’s pass was received by Twente’s Erman, scoring an own goal and setting the scoreline 1-1.

Bayern got back in the game after the equalizer and began putting pressure on the Dutch side. Shots from Evans (31’), Mewis (37’,41’) and Behringer (43’) came close to earning Bayern the lead, and the score remained the same heading into the break.

FCB make final push

No changes were made to either team coming into the second half. Both sides had chances early on through Roord (52’) for Twente and Miedema (52’). In the 54th minute, Viktoria Schnaderbeck’s handball in the box earned Twente a penalty, which was successfully converted by Roetgering and once again gave the visitors the lead (1-2).

The Bayern women went on the offense afterwards, with Däbritz coming on in the 66th minute, though Twente continued to defend and hinder any chances of equalizing. After a foul on sub Rolser, captain Melanie Behringer converted a penalty (76’) and earned Bayern the equalizer to make it 2-2.

In the closing stages of the game, Bayern pressed forward, but late attempts from Rolser (83’), Lewandowski (86’), Däbritz (89’), Miedema (90’) weren’t enough to see the Bayern women through to the next round.