Good omen, Vidal's early goal, records and milestones
The 1-0 victory over Benfica in the Champions league quarter-final first leg yielded some remarkable stats. fcbayern.de has compiled the most interesting facts and figures:
The German record champions have prevailed in all of the last nine European knock-out rounds which began with FCB winning at home, most recently against Barcelona in the 2012/13 semi-finals, posting a 4-0 home victory followed by a 3-0 success away to Barca. The last time the Bavarians were knocked out after a home victory in the first leg was in the 2001/02 season, a 2-1 home victory followed by a 2-0 reverse against Real Madrid.
However, the Portuguese side are also buoyed by a strong record: Benfica have prevailed in all of the last three European knock-out rounds which began with a defeat on foreign soil from a Benfica point of view.
FCB extend home streak
The Bavarians won their 11th Champions League home match in a row on Tuesday, extending the club record. Only Manchester United on 12 consecutive wins boast a longer winning streak at home in Europe's elite club competition.
Arturo Vidal showed his qualities against the visitors, and not only in terms of his commitment as he scored his first Champions League goal for FC Bayern. Vidal has a total of ten goals in 35 Champions League matches, which makes him the top Chilean scorer in the competition ahead of Arsenal's Alexis Sanchez on nine. Vidal's strike 110 seconds into the contest was the fastest goal for Bayern in a competitive fixture this season. Vidal topped his own best-mark: in the DFB Cup first round he netted from the penalty spot against Nöttingen after four minutes and 23 seconds.
- FC Bayern won their 150th European home match in 205 fixtures on Tuesday evening.
- It was Pep Guardiola's 150th competitive fixture as Bayern coach. The Catalan now boasts 116 victories and a win rate of 77 percent.
- The Reds have only lost 20 matches under Guardiola, a rate of 13 percent.
- The FCB head coach is fond of rotation, fielding 138 different starting line-ups in the 150 fixtures.
- Vidal's match-winner was the 200th Champions League goal under Guardiola's auspices, who celebrated 117 for Barcelona and 83 as Bayern coach.
- David Alaba made his 50th European appearance.
- Javi Martínez made his 100th appearance for FC Bayern.